Looking to buy new bedroom furniture?
Invest the next 10 minutes to read this guide, and buy with confidence!
Nothing makes as nice of a difference in your home as a complete new bedroom set with a great look. Your new furniture will probably stay in your home for a long time, and may even be passed down from generation to generation. Bedroom furniture is an important thing to get right; many hours are spent there. You want your room to be both stylish and comfortable. Don’t rush anything. Your new bedroom furniture should be chosen with care and with longevity in mind.
Consider your needs carefully. Every single piece of furniture has a functional and / or decorative purpose. Knowing how furniture will be used, and by whom, is important in deciding what style, construction and material are best for you and your family. Furniture durability depends a lot on construction, the people who will use the furniture, and how it’s used.
Get more storage space for your clothes, files, media, and more. Store everything from socks to sweaters.
How much storage you need? Do you want to get a matching mirror?
Can hide a TV, CD of DVD collection, enclose your home office, give you some extra closet space or even be in your home entrance
Desks can meet a decorative need, serve a functional purpose, or do both. Consider how much storage space you want your desk to provide
when looking at desk drawer dimensions. Add a hutch if required.
When shopping for a bed, first make sure it works with the mattress you have if you’re using an existing mattress set.
Do you read in bed, watch T.V.? Then perhaps you will want to get one with a slight recline angle on the headboard so you are comfortable.
If you like to be low to the ground, look for a platform bed. How big a bed you should buy depends also on the size of your room,
and how much space you need.
Here are the different bed sizes available:
- Twin beds are also known as single beds. These beds fit easily into the smallest bedroom.
They can often accept a trundle underneath to accommodate a second guest. Or, you can add storage boxes to maximize storage.
Some twin beds also come as bunk beds.
Mattress dimension: 39’’ wide for 75’’ long
- Double or full beds (they are the same) are 15’’ wider than a Twin, but if two share the bed,
each has only 27’’ of personal space, much less than a twin.
Mattress dimension: 54’’ wide x 75’’ long
- Queen bed is 6’’ wider than a double bed, allowing more room for each person, but still 9’’ less than a twin bed.
Mattress dimension: 60’’ wide x 80’’ long
Mattress dimension: 76’’ wide x 80’’ long
- California King beds are 12’’ wider than a Queen and 4’’ longer. This is the longest bed available in stores.
Mattress dimension: 72’’ wide x 84’’ long
- Two people sleeping in a king size bed will get the same amount of personal sleeping space as in two twin beds.
Also, consider the following before buying a bed:
- a trundle bed in a child’s room or guest room provides flexibility
- bunk beds in children’s room save space while providing an extra bed
- some beds provide extra storage underneath, or inside the headboard when using a bookcase headboard
The crib you choose for your baby is one of the most important furniture buying choices you will have to make.
With your baby sleeping in a crib until it’s time to move on to a full size bed around the age of 2 or 3, you should take your time in choosing a crib.
There are 2 types of cribs:
Cribs with a single drop side (One side can be lowered).
Convertible cribs convert from a standard crib to a daybed or a full size bed. Even if convertible cribs can be more expensive, it will save you from having to buy a full sized bed when your child outgrows the crib.
All A.P. Industries twin over twin bunk beds can actually be separated in order to use as two twin side beds. Here are some options for the bunk bed; you can add an extension to the bottom bed and make it into a double one. The use of one or two storage boxes or a twin trundle is also possible.
Wise shoppers set up a budget and stick to it. Know before you shop just how much you can spend for everything you need and how much of that total you want to spend for each item you previously selected.
Set realistic price expectations, based on how long you want the furniture to last. A budget for purchasing furniture is an excellent guideline when you begin shopping. As your bedroom furniture is going to receive everyday use, you might want to spend more money to get quality pieces that you will enjoy every morning!
Taking measurements and sketching a detailed layout of the room is an essential step of the buying process.
Consider the size of your room to avoid surprises.
With the layout, you can narrow your furniture search to items of a certain size, depth and height. In determining the size of your items, keep in mind that you may relocate in the future. A.P. Industries offers you over a wide choice of different items that will fit in any room size. Each collection we offer has over 15 items.
Most typical furniture you see is a combination of solid wood and veneers. It does not have to be 100% solid to be of excellent quality, in fact solid wood can have problems with cracking and splitting as weather conditions like humidity can cause solid woods to expand and contract. Most high-end furniture is not 100% solid, but a mix of excellent quality veneers and solid wood, just like A.P. Industries is doing.
Drawers and doors
Verify how the drawers are assembled. Make sure the drawers open and close easily but firmly and are built to hold whatever you want to store. Choose wisely, since you’ll be opening and closing drawers and doors every day. Drawer insides should be smooth to touch. Doors should open and close easily with hardware that is of high quality.
The finish of case goods furniture is an important sign of quality. Finishes give your furniture protection from heat, dryness, and moisture. A good finish makes a piece of wood furniture even more appealing and determines how much care it will require long term. The better the finish, the longer the piece will maintain its appearance. For more durability, lacquer is applied.
A.P. Industries finishing steps:
- Base coat
- Stain: penetrates the wood, changes the color, deepness effect
- Time of drying: 30 minutes
- Sealer: allows the wood grain to rise (gives roughness to the furniture)
- Lacquer, applied all around case, not only on tops
- 45 minutes in the oven. Evaporation of the solvents and 30 minutes at 140 degrees Fahrenheit
- Backs are all color matched
- Lead-free finishes
- Non-toxic catalyzed lacquer covers 100% of the surfaces and provides protection against spills, mild solvents and most markers
- Set up a budget:
- Consider your needs
- Sketch a detailed layout
- Shop for quality and price as well as for credit terms and service
- Find out how the furniture is built
- Determine the store’s return policy
- Obtain information on what the warranty cover
Buy furniture with confidence